Alaska Aerospace is a state-owned corporation that operates the Pacific Spaceport Complex – Alaska (PSCA), located in Kodiak. The spaceport provides integration, checkout, and launch facilities to government and commercial customers desiring to launch suitably sized vehicles. The launch site is focused on providing responsive and efficient launch capability for polar, sun synchronous, and high inclination orbits.
PSCA was designed specifically to provide optimal support for space launches to polar and high inclination orbits, including circular and highly elliptical Molniya and Tundra orbits. PSCA offers unrestricted down range launch azimuths ranging from 110° to 220°. PSCA is the only U.S. facility that can launch directly into the high inclination (63.4°) missions without land over-flight and the requirement to resort to energy consuming dog leg flight segments, which can result in a 15% - 19% payload weight advantage out of PSCA.
Alaska Aerospace is seeking one intern through the Alaska Space Grant Program to support maintenance and operations at PSCA, as well as to conduct research into potential business development opportunities available to Alaska Aerospace. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Develop database management system for facilities and infrastructure.
- Developing launch schedule harmonization.
- Working on a spaceport enhancement team project.
- Development of schematics and data supporting current spaceport environmental activities, to include verification of remediation and mitigation factors from previous failed launch attempts.
- Analysis of customer operations compliance.
- Augmenting spaceport maintenance teams.
- Supporting the telemetry team in launch mission preparation and execution.
- Developing reports for spaceport projects.
- Shadowing launch team activities during launch operations.
- Supporting meteorological team activities.
- Identify and streamline processes using up to date technology.
- Procurement of specialized equipment and supplies for spaceport operations.
- Coordinating logistics and supply chain requirements.
- Completing spaceport administrative and security requirements.
- Support inventory management and tracking.
- Conducting visitor briefings and spaceport tours.
- Support additional projects, as required
Alaska Aerospace seeks a motivated individual willing to work as a member of a team in resolving complex spaceport operational issues and focused on ensuring customer success. Specific areas of proficiency include communications, both written and verbal; computer skills; analytical and deductive reasoning; a positive attitude; a willingness to work extended hours to meet customer launch requirements; and an ability to simultaneously undertake a wide variety of tasks.
This year’s internship program is being offered for ten weeks, starting on or about June 1st, ending on or about August 5th. The position will be full-time, 40 hours per week. It is projected the intern will spend approximately three weeks in Anchorage and five weeks in Kodiak. Applicants should be at least starting their junior year at the end of the internship and be in good standing within the engineering curriculum from an accredited college or university. The successful candidate will be paid a stipend of $6,400. Travel between Anchorage and Kodiak will be paid by Alaska Aerospace. Lodging will only be paid when the intern is working in Kodiak.
This internship is being offered through the Alaska Space Grant Program.
Eligibility and U.S. Citizenship Requirement
Alaska Industry Internships are open to students who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Enrolled at an Alaskan institution of higher education during the period of the award.
- Good academic standing
- U.S. Citizen
Please order your single PDF as follows:
- Cover letter detailing the applicant's interest in the internship and demonstrating compliance to the position requirements
- lLetter of recommendation
- demographic form
Email a single PDF to ASGP at email@example.com, using the subject line: AK Industry Internship Application -- Alaska Aerospace Corporation.
Application Deadline is March 15.
DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 1